Friday, May 29, 2009

Jon Jansen Released


Unfortunate

In a story breaking this hour, the Redskins have released ten year veteran right tackle Jon Jansen, a move that frankly surprises. I first heard of this move from Matt Terl's ORB (Official Redskins Blog) Twitter feed, and then found John Keim with a breaking news blurb at Washington Examiner.

After last season I presumed there would be a competition for right tackle, with Washington's signing of 400 pound Mike Williams it was looking like at least a four way battle between Jon, Mike, rising third year Stephon Heyer and 29 year old journeyman Justin Bridges.

Although it was clear Jon had a tough season I was still of the belief that he could compete for a spot, if not starting then a depth spot. I guess the team thought otherwise.

I know Jon wants to play this season and I hope he finds a team.



Jon Jansen: Washington Post photo from here.

0 comments: