Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lost Highway Found at Last


We've met before haven't we

More weekend off topic from The Curly R, Friday I picked up my regular copy of The Onion, new issues drop Thursday but arrived too late for me to nab on the way in to Metro and when I went to website for the link to the hilarious story about the Washington Nationals evolving the cliched Kiss Cam into the crowd pleasing Fuck Cam (be sure to link through to the full size image) I saw a link to the AV Club's latest re-review of a new cult classic, this week Scott Tobias ran through the David Lynch masterpiece Lost Highway. This is one of my favorite movies, top twenty if not top ten

At this point I should probably reveal that there is another David Lynch movie in my top ten, Blue Velvet. Knowing this and that other movies among my top ten or twenty are the Gary Oldman vehicles Romeo Is Bleeding and Leon/The Professional, the Crispin Glover-Keanu Reeves pic River's Edge and Christian Bale's American Psycho (still the toughest book I have ever read) should give you some idea of my deranged tastes.

Like David Lynch's later Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway is disjointed and tells a story that is difficult to follow. Bill Pullman plays a musician that may or may not have committed a crime, Patricia Arquette plays two roles, one of which is Bill's character's doomed wife and Robert Blake, in what so far is his last movie role, plays the Mystery Man, taunting Bill's character about something he does not really understand. Check the first video clip in the Onion piece for the seminal moment between the two as the Mystery Man greets Bill's character at a party. I bought the movie soundtrack alone for the background music in this scene.

I saw this movie on its release in 1997 in the theater and then again later on a premium movie channel, there was no other way to see it for the last decade as this movie was not on DVD. Well I am pleased to say Lost Highway has finally been released on DVD and I have already ordered it.

Enjoy your weekend.



Robert Blake as the Mystery Man in Lost Highway from here.

0 comments: