Blogger draft day war room
Draft day is here, tee minus one hour until the fun begins, time to start learning whether we were on or off in our collective speculation, you cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a mock draft these days and if you are swinging that cat near me you just hit one.
Last month Don Delco of the terrific Browns centric No Logo Needed invited Curly R to select for Washington in their mock. I present you the 2009 Mock Draft for Blogs:
1. Lions: waynefontes.com — MATTHEW STAFFORD, QB, GEORGIA
2. Rams: turfshowtimes.com — EUGENE MONROE, OT, VIRGINIA
3. Chiefs: kcchiefsnews.com — AARON CURRY, LB, WAKE FOREST
4. Seahawks: davekriegsstrikebeard.com — MICHAEL CRABTREE, WR, TEXAS TECH
5. Browns: nologoneeded.com — REY MAUALUGA, LB, USC
6. Bengals: bengalstripes.com — JASON SMITH, OT, BAYLOR
7. Raiders: silverandblackpride.com — JEREMY MACLIN, WR, MISSOURI
8. Jaguars: jaguarsgab.com — B.J. RAJI, DT, BOSTON COLLEGE
9. Packers: lombardiave.com — BRIAN ORAKPO, DE/OLB, TEXAS
10. 49ers: ninersnation.com — EVERETTE BROWN, OLB, FLORIDA STATE
11. Bills: buffalorumblings.com CLAY MATTHEWS, OLB, USC
12. Broncos: milehighreport.com — MALCOLM JENKINS, CB, OHIO STATE
13. Redskins: The Curly R — ANDRE SMITH, OT, ALABAMA
14. Saints: canalstreetchronicles.com — BRIAN CUSHING, OLB, USC
15. Texans: houstondiehards.com — MICHAEL OHER, OT, OLE MISS
16. Chargers: bolthype.com — EBEN BRITTON, OT, ARIZONA
17. Jets: thejetsblog.com — TYSON JACKSON, DE, LSU
18. Bears: blogdownchicagobears.com — DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY, WR, MARYLAND
19. Buccaneers: bucem.com — PERCY HARVIN, WR, FLORIDA
20. Lions (from Dallas): waynefontes.com — AARON MAYBIN, DE, PENN STATE
21. Eagles: igglesblog.com — VONTAE DAVIS, CB, ILLINOIS
22. Vikings: vikingsragnarok.blogspot.com — MARK SANCHEZ, QB, USC
23. Patriots: patriotsdaily.com — KNOWSHON MORENO, RB, GEORGIA
24. Falcons: falcoholic.com —CLINT SINTIM, LB, VIRGINIA
25. Dolphins: thephinsider.com — LARRY ENGLISH, LB, NORTHERN ILLINOIS
26. Ravens: ebonybird.com —KENNY BRITT, WR, RUTGERS
27. Colts: 18to88.com — PERIA JERRY, DT, MISSISSIPPI STATE
28. Eagles (from Carolina): igglesblog.com — ALEX MACK, OL, CALIFORNIA
29. Giants: bigblue101.com — HAKEEM NICKS, WR, NORTH CAROLINA
30. Titans: musiccitymiracles.com — D.J. MOORE, CB, VANDERBILT
31. Cardinals: raisingzona.com — CHRIS WELLS, RB, OSU
32. Steelers: steelerstoday.com — FILI MOALA, DT, USC
Here is what I said about the selection of Alabama's Andre Smith:
With the 13th pick in the 2009 NFL draft for blogs, the Washington Redskins select...
** ANDRE SMITH, OT ALABAMA **
The Redskins have fairly simple needs this year, and they are going to take the best player at either of their top two positions of need. On the offensive side of the ball Washington needs a tackle. Thirty-one year old left tackle Chris Samuels ended 2008 on injured reserve, 33 year old right tackle Jon Jansen lost his starting job then got it back and never pass blocked well, all while undrafted rising third year utility tackle Stephon Heyer still is not turning into a full range starter.
On the defensive side, the position of need is defensive end. With the release of Jason Taylor and the inexplicable loss of Demetric Evans who was the Redskins best player at the position in 2008, the Redskins are left with one quality defensive end, Andre Carter, with the next best option an as yet un re signed Phillip Daniels, 36 years old and coming off a torn ACL suffered in 2008 training camp.
Curly R rated the tackles and defensive ends likely to go in the first thirteen picks in this order: OT Jason Smith, OT Eugene Monroe, DE Brian Orakpo aka Brian Oh Crappo, OT Andre Smith, OT Michael Oher, DE Everette Brown, DE Aaron Maybin. With Jason, Eugene and Brian off the board the decision is easy, Andre will challenge at right tackle this summer.
Although this does not necessarily spell the end of either Jon Jansen or Stephon Heyer it does signal the beginning of a new era at offensive tackle in Washington.
Stick with Curly R throughout today and tomorrow for Redskins related draft news, head over to our mock draft partner blogs and see what they are saying.
The 2009 NFL Draft starts in one hour.
Dr. Strangelove war room from here.