Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Game Journal: Redskins at Eagles, 10/12/2006

So I was in Philadelphia for game nine Sunday. Due to the weather, I did not get as many good pics as I wanted but I think you'll get some idea of my game experience. All in all, it was good time, alternately wet and miserable, and just wet. This makes 14 of the past 15 Redskins-Eagles games Wilbert Montgomery and I have attended together, regardless of venue. The last time I missed a Redskins-Eagles was October 8, 2000 at Philadelphia which was also the last time the Redskins won in Philadelphia before last season.

Wilbert Montgomery and his wife and kids stayed at our place Saturday night. Since we all had kids, we have not had many chances to go to dinner as adults, so got a sitter for the four kids and went to Marrakesh in DC. It was great, a fixed-menu, fixed-price giant Moroccan meal but beware, they only take cash and checks.

It was raining very hard in Alexandria when we left for the game at 8am Sunday. We arrived at Wilmington, DE around 11am where we picked up Wilbert Montgomery's sister and Wilbert Montgomery's sister's husband. After leaving my morning coffee there, we got back on I-95, arriving at the stadium around 11:40am



Approaching Lincoln Financial Field from the south on I-95. We had outrun the storm...for now.






The view crossing the gap in the stadium. The Linc really is a great looking ballpark. I normally try and grab a pic of Liberty 1 and 2, the skyscrapers to the north past the stadium, but it was so foggy from the approaching storm that they were invisible.


All the Philadelphia stadiums are grouped together in the warehouse district on the south side of town, and parking restrictions are suspended, or at least relaxed on gameday, and these spots are free. Wilbert Montgomery always parks in the same area, on the north end of South Lawrence Street at Packer Avenue, right across from Liberty Fish Company.



How I know I am in Philadelphia.











We set up the tailgate quickly, ate steak and risotto. First insult: 11:42am. GO HOME LOSER! from a passing Corolla. I determined the two goofballs across the street were probably cool and went over to ask for a picture. I asked their names, but I forget them, so if you guys remembered that I told you the blog was Curly R, thanks.



The Hulk, your blogger and a sort of Bird Man.











South Lawrence Street between Packer Avenue and Pattison Avenue. I presume this is a Terrell Owens jersey, though I suppose it could be a Todd Pinkston or James Thrash jersey.

On the walk to the stadium a very drunk guy merged with our group on Pattison Avenue. After some perfunctory chit-chat very drunk guy perpetrates my hat and throws it over the fence to the parking lot. Another bunch of guys grabbed it, but they were cool and brought it back, handing it to Wilbert Montgomery's sister. Very drunk guy was obviously unhappy that his compatriots returned the property because he perpetrated the hat again, out of Wilbert Montgomery's sister's hands and ran off and I mean ran off like a sprinter, for two blocks. I don't think he ever looked back. I got out the old camera and got this picture of the perpetrator fleeing the scene.

Very drunk perpetrator is directly under the right yellow stoplight in the green coat and white hat. If you enlarge this picture, you will see a few red pixels in the perpetrator's right hand. It was an old hat and I only wore it on gamedays and I hope he likes it.









Walking in the northeast gate.








11:14 1st qtr, Eagles 1st & 10 at Eagles 36










Then, it started to rain. Second quarter. It continued to rain harder every minute for the rest of the game.








Replay of Sheldon Brown's pick-6. 6:23 3rd qtr. I just love that his stadium piece is the opening of 24. I thought they were showing the trailer for season 6.




It started to get cold. It's been a while since I wore my gore-tex jacket in the weather, and it's not waterproof anymore. This severely reduced my enjoyment in the 4th quarter and I watched much of it from the concourse. It was mostly laughable as Dono and the Eagles ran the game down with a 9 minute, 13 play drive.





Walking out, cold and wet.











I was home in time to see the Bears lay an ass whooping on the Giants, a game in which Tiki Barber and his successor at the University of Virginia, Thomas Jones, both had great games. Wahoowa!

Wilbert Montgomery and I will reprise this trip at Redskins Stadium on December 10, our 15th in the past 16 Redskins-Eagles games. In the 14 games I have attended in this series, the Redskins are 4-10 (with two of those last season) so let's go Jason Campbell and Ladell Betts.



All photos by me

0 comments: