Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Football Thread


Because everybody loves a turkey

From the entire staff of The Curly R, happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. But your what? I always wondered what meant.

I trust everybody is settled for day and not trolling Redskins blogs, for the fools that are, I am at my awesome in laws for the third year in a row, currently watching the Titans dismantle the Lions, man Detroit is an awful team. It's a house full of people and a table full of food, come back and I'll update you with the events of the day.

0215: stagger home drunk on bourbon from neighbor's house after playing and completing Far Cry 2 on Xbox 360. Quiver in bed with eyes closed for four hours.

0630: kids awake, wife does me a solid by dealing and even makes breakfast, lets me quiver for another hour.

0800: hollered out of bed, come down and eat my breakfast, cold.

0830: fall into shower, pack for trip. Do not forget my computer and bottle of bourbon. Do forget my electrical tools. It will be a working trip to Cville.

0935: depart Alexandria for Charlottesville, have one of the worst trips south evar.

1230: arrive Charlottesville. Pour first bourbon immediately. Then push the kids in the tire swing until arms hurt. Estimate 40 bags worth of leaves in my in laws back yard. Begin watching football. Titans score on the Lions in under two minutes.

1250: Titans score again.

1320: Titans score again.

1335: Titans score again.

1400: sit down to gigantic Thanksgiving feast, two turkeys, one barbequed, one roasted, all the fixings. There are thirteen of us.

1420: Titans score again. The Lions have managed ten points in here somewhere.

1450: look around and wonder where the two older boys are (six years old). They have wandered over to the neighbors who have cool nerf rockets, a battery operated Jeep for little people and a fire.

1455: the little one (one years old) is awake from nap. He nom nom noms on stuffing, rolls and turkey.

1630: leave in laws, drive way out to the country which is like five minutes outside Cville to visit with a childhood friend of the wife. It is surprisingly and pleasantly more fun than I expected.

1950: return all three children back to in laws, they are spent and falling apart and hours past their bedtimes. Good luck to the in laws.

2015: arrive hotel, check AGAIN and there is still no NFL Network on cable here at the hotel AGAIN. Check on line and whatever the fuck NFL.com says and how they try and position it, THE GAME IS NOT BEING STREAMED ONLINE.

2016: begin cold war with wife over whether we will go out and find a bar to watch the Eagles-Cardinals game or stay in and watch Friends reruns while I blog.

2100: cold war gets hot as she surfs her iPhone while I blog this post.

2105: still frozen, with the visit to the childhood friend there is no mandate for evening activity. WHY OH WHY CAN'T I WATCH DONOVAN FLAIL?????

2115: realize I am late on my 100 words for the New York Times, John Woods at the Fifth Down Blog asked me and some other Redskins bloggers to put together another piece like we did for game one back in September.

2200: finish 100 words and submit to NYT, will post here if I missed deadline.

2210: realize we will not be leaving the hotel room to watch the Eagles-Cardinals game. Get comfortable watching a Friends rerun. Not sure who I feel worse for, me or Donovan McNabb. Get some ice and pour a bourbon.

2230: switch around, find The Godfather on AMC, realize slowly by way of many questions that the wife has not actually seen this movie all the way through, at least not in a way that she would remember.

2300 (or thereabouts): fall into deep food sleep, good night and I hope everybody had a great turkey day.


Other Curly R Thanksgiving Football Threads: 2006 :: 2007 :: 2009 :: 2010

Sarah Palin outtakes from here.

0 comments: