Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Brandon Lloyd Is a Paperweight


I want YOU to release Brandon Lloyd

Yesterday, when someone showed up on my sitemeter from a Google search on 'Redskins Todd Pinkston signing,' I thought it was some Philly crank just looking to make trouble. Imagine my surprise when I open the paper today and the Redskins actually have signed former Eagle Todd Pinkston.

At first this looks like a what the fuh...? move but read closer, in the fine print at the bottom (emphasis mine):

Gibbs said [Brandon] Lloyd is expected back this week but was unable to even run on the side yesterday. "We don't like it," Gibbs said of the prolonged absence, "but that's just where we are [in the recovery].

Recovery from shin splints he got because this was the first offseason Brandon actually worked out (WashTimes via Hogs Haven).

Check that again. An NFL wide receiver that can't even run in the third week of training camp. Anyone want to take odds on how long until we hear from Brandon on this? His little sob story about how, well, Coach wanted me to work out and I did and I guess I overdid it but I was doing what Coach wanted...

Update: lifetime Eagles fan, season ticket holder and Curly R reader/lurker Wilbert Montgomery just passed this information to me via teh internets. Joe Gibbs was heard on Sirius NFL Radio on the 2 Minute Drill (the three-times-hourly NFL news updates) saying this:

"We felt we had a guy who might have a hard time making the team and this was a good time to bring someone else in"

Is he really talking about Brandon Lloyd? Or one of the other receivers.

Last season the Redskins carried five receivers, Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Brandon Lloyd, James Thrash and David Patten. David is gone and positions are assured for Santana and Antwaan, and James seems pretty safe as well. Is Coach alluding to competition between Corey Bradford, Mike Espy and Brandon Lloyd for two spots?



Todd Pinkston at the Vet from here.

0 comments: