Thursday, August 07, 2008

Colt Brennan Chronicles - 7 August 2008


HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Washington is Colt Crazy. Since Colt's performance Sunday in the Hall of Fame Game, the medias and teh internets are on fire, there's a quarterback controversy here in town (not really, just Will one of Will's lackeys shit disturbing) and designated starter Jason Campbell needs to call in a favor with thethe flagship paper to get some coverage, the WaPo calls Jason Campbell Gunner, I call him Shooter. Man I'd be pissed if I was Jason Campbell.

Colt updated his Redskins training camp blog on Tuesday, highs points and takeaways:


On taking the field for the first time: I feel like I played pretty well. The coolest thing of the night was when I walked out on to the field for my first drive, before I even started to play, and I could hear a little ovation from the stands. A lot of people were standing up and clapping. It just felt good. It was a warm welcome.

On his performance in the HoF Game: We had practice for the first time this week [on Tuesday]. After practice, we were going to watch film, and Coach [Chris] Meidt turned to me and said, 'You were pretty horrible when it came to technique, but you made up for it with some pretty nice throws.' ...

... Did it bruise my ego a little bit to hear Coach Meidt say that? No, not at all, because I know the things that I need to work on. When you get in a game, you just want to go do what is comfortable. I knew [the criticism] was coming. But I felt comfortable out there.

On emerging as a player if note for the Washington Redskins: [After I left Redskins Park on Monday] I went to the movie theater--I went to see "Step Brothers." Very funny movie.

I saw a kid wearing a Brennan jersey in the movie theater, so that fired me up a little bit.

Matt Terl at the ORB (Official Redskins Blog) with his near total access to the Redskins operation could be trolling locker rooms, the production suite or watching Joe Bugel chew ice and flush the commode but no, even the Redskins official blogger is caught up in Coltmania, a bunch of Colt news and analysis behind that link.

Brian Murphy at Homer McFanboy has an interview with Colt, it was conducted since the HoF Game. Money quote:

Brian Murphy: Point blank - what's the reason so many fans seem to be taking to you so quickly?

Colt Brennan: "I think people are really infatuated kind of with the fact that I came from Hawaii," Brennan said. "That seems to be the focus of most questions and the most asked about thing. Hawaii is such a unique place and such an awesome place, and for me to go out there and have success I think people have been really excited about seeing something different. It seems like traditionally it's about the SEC, the Big 10 and the PAC 10, and for me being from Hawaii, it's different. People like different sometimes."

Yes, could be that Colt, or it could be that you were a freak of nature under center in college and a legion of insanely dedicated Hawaii fans are scouring teh webs for any sign of you, this is the market for coverage reacting to a huge upside for eyeballs and maybe someday some wins. Man I'd be pissed if I was Todd Collins.

Lee Gibbons at The Redskin Report has a good piece on Colt, comparing him to a couple of the other almost were quarterbacks for the Redskins in the past few seasons, including the godawful Jordan Palmer, little brother of Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, Jordan was so bad (also here) in his only preseason appearance that he was cut the next day. So in a sense the Redskins 2008 season has already been a success, the team managed to draft a quarterback that can make the team(!).

PennSkinsFan at DC Pro Sports Report cannot resist dropping a Colt Brennan link into a post from yesterday, seems coach Jim Zorn and offensive assistant cum quarterbacks coach Chris Meidt (Jim Zorn is the quarterbacks coach for the Redskins, Chris works most closely with the QBs and there is no one on the team with that coaching designation) are trying to tamp down enthusiasm over Colt's performance Sunday night. Too late, it's already out and Redskins fans have set their expectations.

Stephen Angliss at the Bleacher Report writes that it's a good thing Jim Zorn is Colt's quarterback; I'll bet coach Zorn sees a little of the old Zornography in Colt, little undersized, unconventional mechanics, lots of charisma. As I have said before Jason Campbell or no, Colt Brennan is the first quarterback belonging solely to Jim Zorn. Within two seasons, the time where Dan Snyder either will fire Jim Zorn or grant him a big extension, the Redskins will have to decide what to do with Jason Campbell, keep him and pay him or let him go. This will have as much to do with Colt Brennan's progress as it will Jason Campbell's success.


Can't wait until Saturday night. Man I'd be pissed if I was Jason Campbell or Todd Collins.



Photo credits: collage by me, images as follows: Brian Murphy from here; uncredited image from here; uncredited image from here; uncredited image from here; ESPN Magazine cover from here; uncredited image from here; uncredited image from here.

0 comments: