Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I Hope this Is Not True


Because that would be a football fraud

I was wondering when I would read this story. Yesterday in my car on The Opening Drive with Bob Pappa and Randy Cross on Sirius NFL Radio I heard them talking about someone accusing the Redskins of piping fan noise through the stadium PA.

Later in the day I read the Sportz Assassin's story on Redskins AOL Fanhouse picking up from the original bulletin board comment and thread referenced by Bob and Randy so we are talking about one post on one bulletin board here. ExtremeSkins is an 'official' Redskins property associated with the team so do not be surprised if the thread mysteriously disappears presently.

Sadly I believe it, I believe the Redskins pipe in fake crowd noise. I think so because I have heard it myself. Always with a tiny bit of doubt but last season at the Eagles game I specifically noticed it coming and going between plays in a very unnatural fashion. As a former live sound engineer I may not have any more insight than any other fan but I know amplified sound when I hear it.

Wilbert Montgomery and I will be attending the November Eagles game and you can bet I will be paying close attention.

If the Redskins are doing this it should be exposed, they should pay the fine and be subject to all those pieces about how FedEx Field does not hold sound like RFK did, how the team cheats and how maybe the Redskins don't have a great home field advantage after all because piping in fake crowd noise is against the rules and gutless.



Stadium loudpseakers from here.

0 comments: