Friday, October 10, 2008

Game Journal Supplemental: Cardinals at Redskins, 9/21/2008

The week after the Cardinals game three neighbor Bill brought his game photos over so I could grab them, I had already published the journal for that game, so I decided to give them their own journal entry.

=====

Mark Newgent of Redskins Examiner invited me and three neighbors to attend game three with him on his tickets. Bill, Paul and I left Swarthmore Drive around 10:30 to head to Metro.



We took the yellow line, me on left, Paul on right, I am on the phone with Mark and Paul is looking at my Blogger Deathsport week three picks.


Fast forward to the game, Paul, Mark and me. Again we get a really good look at how high up Mark's tickets are. The weather was excellent although that close to the sun it got hot.


Second quarter coming out of the two minute warning, Redskins ball leading 10-7, huddling up before a third and one on the Redskins 37 yard line...


...shot across Redskins Stadium of the crowd and scoreboard as the huddle breaks...


...the closest Bill's camera can get to the action right before the snap...


...the play, Clinton Portis over left guard for no gain. Remember back when the Redskins ran all their running plays to the left? ...ahh good times...


...between plays, a crowd shot of Redskins Stadium...


...fourth and one, scoreboard shot...


...Durant Brooks booming what would be a 56 yard punt with 1:26 left in the half, Redskins leading 10-7...


...Arizona's Steve Breaston fields the punt and is tackled on the Arizona seven yard line, however a penalty on Cardinals' cornerback Ralph Brown illegal block above the waist took it back half the distance to the goal, you can see the laundry still on the field, the special teams come off and the Redskins defense goes on. Coach Jim Zorn is the uppermost Redskins coach on the sideline stripe...


...Cardinals get the ball back on their own four yard line with 1:12 left in the half trailing 10-7...


...another crowd shot, note the Marcus Washington jersey at right and the two Chris Cooleys at center left. Chris by far dominates new jersey sales among Redskins fans who attend games...


...Cardinals ball setting up a second and seven on the Arizona seven with 1:08 left in the half. Beer dude was working hard that day in the extreme altitudes...


...in my estimation Bill is photographing the Redskins cheerleaders here. The bald head is just a bonus. If I was bald in that heat I would be wearing at hat. Which is funny because I was wearing a hat. Not that wearing a hat is funny. Or that this guy's head is funny that's not what I meant I meant funny ironic not funny ha ha not that a black man with a bald head is ironic. Never mind.


Kurt Warner in the shotgun first and ten on the Redskins 16, 35 seconds left in the half, Redskins leading 10-7...


...the first down play unfolding, Kurt would go to Larry Fitzgerald over the middle for six yards, the Cardinals were not concerned with scoring or going down field here at the end of the half...


...two plays later, Kurt setting up for a third and four at the Arizona 22 with six seconds left in the half...


...and the play, Kurt threw it deep and incomplete to Anquan Boldin to end the half.


Fast forward to the end of the game, pleasantries exchanged at midfield.


After the game I called Tony Almeida to get scores from the early games for both my pools.


Yes we poured drinks after the game, I admit that.


Photo by Paul, resumption of the tailgate after the game.


Out host, Mark Newgent, thanks again Mark we had a great time.


As the story goes we had to change Metro trains at L'Enfant Plaza and with full bladders and in no hurry we stopped to hit the head. This is me and Paul with Independence Avenue and the Capitol building behind us.


Me and Bill, Bill has rediscovered his inner football fan this year thanks to fantasy football (he has Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley and the Eagles defense).


Paul and Bill, marveling at the wonder of democracy.


Back at Bill's house after the game we settled in to watch evening football and rewatch the Redskins-Cardinals game. The white stone in the middle of the top shelf there is the good luck stone my six year old son Will gave Bill on our way out the door that morning. Will said if Bill took it the Redskins would win and they did, now it has a place of honor.


End of the night, a great picture of me and my neighbor Lyn, she rocks. Whenever my wife leaves town she feeds me and she kicks ass on the drums in Rock Band.


I took 1 gigabyte of photos and video over two days in Philadelphia last weekend, I will be sorting and correcting and posting my Eagles game journal next.



All photos by neighbor Bill or someone else holding his camera.

0 comments: